Wednesday, March 4, 2009

At times, college reminds me of high school. For lack of better terms, cliques suck. You either fit in somewhere, or you spend your time aimlessly wandering the halls/avoiding others by hiding in study rooms. I figured I’d be that person; you know, that awkward, clumsy, socially retarded girl who sat at the front of the class in an attempt to avoid eye contact and interaction with her fellow classmates.

While I’m no ‘social butterfly,’ I think I’ve grown fairly comfortable in my surroundings. For the most part (unless I’ve faced some very recent, unwanted drama), I enjoy going to school and I enjoy that kind of interaction. When I come home, it’s a completely different setting filled with lots of one-worded replies and aggravation.

I still fret about the little things though, like if I’m rambling on too much. I have to keep in mind that not everyone cares, and I can’t really blame them. I have a tendency of tuning people out (unintentionally) myself.

Recently, I have realized that my life is not as complicated as I like to sometimes make it out to be. I think it mostly has to do with how boring and unpredictable my life really is; complaining about it seems to be my vice.

1 comment:

lefty74 said...

Leanne,

Some advice from a guy who is both a "bit" older, and has been through the post-secondary system once before:

You are right that there are cliques in college. The problem is two-fold I think. The first issue is that students are sent away to college at a very young age, in a culture where it has become increasingly acceptable for people to go through a phase of prolonged adolescence. The second issue is that the college itself is somewhat set up like a high school; there are lockers, most classrooms are found in the same building, and class schedules generally run between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Many students take their lunch at the same time. The cafeteria at noon is akin to the same scene you would see in any area high school.

Anyway, my point is that some people will treat college as little more than an extension of high school. With this reality, comes all the same social nonsense; the cliques, the gossip, the juvenile b.s., etc. My advice: ignore it completely. I know you feel like you need to get out of your shell, but I don't see a shell at all. We have a great group in this program, and you are an integral part of that.

Let the people who want to be 18 forever do their thing. You are part of something larger than the walls of this college. You have chosen to enter a profession of great importance, and each day you prove an increasing ability to function as a professional in this environment.

In other words, much like I told Tim, you are growing without even realizing it, and growth is good.