Say you’ve known someone for seven years. The first five years were great, but you’ve drifted apart since; you don’t have anything in common with each other anymore. The long phone calls and conversations have stopped completely, but whenever the other person is around, you feel obligated to say, "Hey, how are you doing?"
So, what happens next? Do you rid of the friendship completely, or do you try to make amends? Either way, no matter which decision you make, complications will arise: you’ve promised to be friends with this person until the end. Do you break your promise, or do you stay friends only to remain in awkward silence when you’re around each other?
They’ve been there for you; they’ve listened, offered you advice and have told you to smarten up when it was obviously needed. You know this, and you appreciate it, but trying to save a friendship that probably can’t be saved often leads to disappointment. So, what does a person do when they’re only given option a and b?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I enjoyed this piece Leanna, because I am sure everyone has been in this situation. I have had a few of these situations. I went to a elementary school that was in the middle of two towns. When my class graduated grade 8, everyone split up between the two schools. I was suppose to go to Smiths Falls High School, but a boy finalized my decision to go to Perth High School. A majority of my girlfriends were going to Smiths Falls but we all swore that we would stay in touch and be Friends Forever.
I will never forget my 16th birthday. I invited my "best friend" as well as some other friends from Smiths Falls, and my new friends from Perth. My old friends, including my "best friend" sat around ignoring everyone, thinking they were better than my friends from Perth. I was having more fun with these new friends of mine. I had nothing to say to this girl that I called my best friend.
After my birthday, we both tried a little longer, and eventually phone calls were fewer and fewer apart, and eventually they stopped in general.
I miss Kelly sometimes, but I miss her as the 12 year old girl that was my best friend.
I believe people grow apart, especially in the vital years of being a teenager. What you once liked when you were 16, is not usually what you like when you are 21. Ha, thinking back to when I was 16, I would hope someone wasn't like that when they were 21. Some people decide to grow up, others take a little longer to do it.
Post a Comment